- When the cold weather arrives, have a collection of cozy, fluffy throws to place on your furniture for snuggling. Remove them or replace with soft cotton or silk throws for warmer months.
- Remove the toasty down-filled duvet from your bed in the spring and substitute a light cotton matalasse bed cover or a simple cotton blanket.
- Floral arrangements of pine and holiday colours can be changed for light, colourful ones for the spring and summer. Put away dark brass or pottery containers and bring out clear glass or crystal vases.
- Change dark-patterned decorative pillows by covering them with fresh, floral prints or plaids for warmer weather. Either change out the pillows with a second set or alternate the decorative covers.
- If you have a collection of plates on display, put classic holiday designs away for the winter and replace with pretty floral china from grandma.
- Have your draperies made so they are reversible allowing you to easily turn them from lively to neutral with the seasonal changes.
- Be sure to put garden magazines and flower books out on the coffee table in the spring and summer. That will help bring the outside in and add color to your interior.
Tips:Keep spring and summer colours and accessories light, both in feel and colour.
The change of decor can come all at one time, like spring house cleaning, or over a period of several days or weeks. You'll be surprised what a difference just a small change can make.
If winter seems especially long, forget the calendar and get your spring things out even if there's snow on the ground. You may still need the warm blankets, but the look can be light and uplifting.